Wednesday 17 January 2018

Week 2 - Favourite Photo

The theme this week (which is now last week) is 'Favourite Photo'.  The photo below is one of my favourite family history photos - kindly copied from the original held by my mum's cousin Ba.


This wedding day photo was taken on 1 February 1899 in Fletton, Peterborough, Northamptonshire.  The wedding was between John George Braybrook (1877-1917) and Emma Elizabeth Garfoot (1874-1949).  They were my great grandparents on my mother's side.  They had nine children including Muriel Nellie (my grandmother) and Evelyn Ruth (Ba and Gill's mother).

I have been able to identify a number of the people in the photo but there are still mysteries.  I have an idea of who would have attended but have not managed to find a report of the wedding that may include names of who attended.

To the right of the bride (looking at the photo) is her uncle William Springthorpe Garfoot (1859-1945).  I suspect that he gave away the bride as Emma's father had died ten years earlier following an accident in the railway yards in 1889.  I think his elder daughter Bessie Garfoot (1891-1973) is the girl in white on the left at the front.  His younger daughter Florence was only 1 year old so is not there.  His wife Hannah Hollis (1854-1917) may be in the photo but no idea who.

The bride's mother Ann Garfoot (nee Harding, 1838-1915) is on the second row from the front on the right hand side almost looking tucked away.  The bride's eldest sister Mary Ann Thompson (1871-1941) known as Polly is on the back row, sixth from the left.  I think her daughter Annie Francis Helen Thompson (1893-1981) known as Nell is the other girl in white on the front row.  Polly's husband had died in 1894.  The bride's grandfather Robert Jarvis Garfoot (1824-1902) is on the back row on the far right I think.

The groom's parents George Braybrook (1845-1916) and Elizabeth Ann Coley (1845-1914) are on the back row seventh and eighth from the left respectively.

These are the main relations that I have easily identified.  There are a few more that I suspect who they are but I am really hoping that at some point a newspaper article about the wedding will be found that will help identify who was there on the day.  If anyone knows who any of the other people are, I would welcome ideas.

One of the reasons I love this photo is that on first glance it looks quite a posh location.  However, when looking carefully you can see the corrugated iron building behind the backing cloth as well as hay on the ground.  

No comments:

Post a Comment